Friday, November 21, 2008

Vatican Forgives Lennon for "more popular than Jesus"

Saturday's edition of the Vatican's official newspaper absolves John Lennon of his notorious remark, saying that "after so many years it sounds merely like the boasting of an English working-class lad struggling to cope with unexpected success".

I saw this on the news today. Thought it comical. I think Lennon was half serious and half kidding when he said this, but either way, I find it a really funny statement. He said:

"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

And when he said this, people in America blew up. There were literally "Beatles burnings" where kids at the behest of their parents usually, came and put everyone Beatles in a huge bonfire. I watched a documentary on Lennon this week, and when I saw old footage of those burnings I was very pained. I want some of those records! How cool would all that stuff be.

2 comments:

greg said...

Im sure those people that participated in those Beatles burnings are quite a bit more pained than you are. I'd love some of those records too!

rachel rianne said...

duuude the disciples were thick. i think that all the time.