Saturday, August 16, 2008

Western Culture



I have started reading a fascinating book by John O'Malley, Distinguished Professor of History at a Jesuit School of Theology called Four Cultures of the West. I know that postmodern culture is skeptical of the "metanarrative" but I like to be able to know what it is exactly that I am skeptical about! I will follow up on this book, but I want to create a little cultural test to see what you all know about Western culture.

Match the names and subjects with the four cultures that O'Malley says defines the West. I realize many could be argued for multiple catagories.

Cultures:
1. Prophetic Culture

2. Academic/Professional Culture

3. Humanistic Culture

4. Artistic Culture

People, Subject:
A. Shakespeare, Sacraments, Liturgy

B. Erasmus, Cicero, St. Bernard

C. Isaiah, Luther, King Jr.

D. Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Freud

No comments: