Saturday, August 9, 2008

People's Republic





Although I did not get to see them, I heard the opening ceremony of the Olympics was rather elaborate and fantastical. These Olympics have been a really weird time, as much about politics as sport, and have brought many questions and issues to light. It is an interesting topic -the rise of China. I thought the Economist was insightful when it said

"The government's solution is to promise them that China will be restored to its rightful place at the centre of the world affairs. Hence the pride at winning the Olympics. But China's rage is all out of proportion. It reflects a fear that a resentful; threatend West is determined to thwart China's rise. The Olympics have become a symbol of China's right to the respect it is due.

For me, it's hard to know whether to root for China (not in sport obviously) or to be skeptical of them. Their opening to the world is certainly a good thing, but I think optimism may be a ways off yet.

No comments: